Using fieldstone mined from local plots, a classic "one room schoolhouse" was built in 1861 in the small town of Belwood, Ontario. The location was chosen for a variety of reasons, including availability of fresh water in nearby rivers, being positioned at the top of a hill and fronting on a well travelled road. Schools at the time were named by location, so this one was given the title "School Section No. 7". The schoolhouse served children of all ages and taught lessons from grade 1 through grade 8. The building featured separate Girls and Boys entrances, as was common in that time.
The 1861 Belwood Schoolhouse was purchased by Noah Klar and Jefferson Wilde in 2022.